-
July 18th, 2005, 02:17 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Has anyone ever felt overwhelmed with their collection? Since I started collecting for myself and DD in the Spring of 2004, I have been accumulating things at a fast rate. I am thinking about selling off a *little* bit of our stuff and am going to really try to cut down on ebay. I have gotten in a habit of just surfing ebay for a good deal, and not looking for anything particular, which is how we ended up with so much stuff!
Now I have stuff that we haven't even used yet, not to mention the brand new stuff from the code that's being saved for gifts. I am grateful that I have been able to get all of these items, I know there are some girls (and adults) that love AG but don't have the means to collect. Has anyone ever felt this way with their collecting? I know collectors in general usually buy everything they can, and eventually become more selective. HELP!! I Don't know what to do...we are spending more time trying to organize stuff than actually playing! [img]frown.gif[/img]
-
July 18th, 2005, 02:24 PM
#2
chrstnwmn7
Guest
I have felt this way. The first thing I did was stop surfing ebay daily...at least more than once. I also cut back on spending and budgeted myself a certain amount per month.
I trimmed down my collection to the few things I really loved. I had to limit myself too!!! I am focusing on historical clothes, Felicity, and the Original Bitty (AKA Our New Baby) collections. DD has quite a bit for Bitty and her dolls too.
It is SO hard to break the habit/addiction to ebay and AG...a lethal combination!!! LOL
-
July 18th, 2005, 02:44 PM
#3
Inactive Member
I'm beginning to feel that way. When I bought DD's dolls last summer, I also bought some AGOT outfits, and she started with Bitty earlier this year. I've decided to forego Bitty unless there is an outfit I really love and focus solely on Samantha's and Felicity's collections. And, within their collections, I've decided to focus on those things that relate directly to the books (i.e., no spring outfits for Sam and Nellie). On another note though, since my DD is totally into dance, I'll by the stuff relating to dance and/or any other activity in which she decides to participate. I figure that way she'll have an entire collection to play with and can start a different one if she wants when she's older.
-
July 18th, 2005, 07:19 PM
#4
Inactive Member
I've said this before, and I really feel that it works. Convince yourself that AG is something you want to collect all your life. That way, you always know there's more time to get things. If you're not feeling time pressure, you won't buy as fast, and you can better determine what you want and what can wait. That's what I do. I mean, I knew I wanted Marisol right away, but I also know that I want some of Samantha's items. Samantha really isn't going anywhere, and I'll still want her stuff in two years, so...it can wait.
-
July 18th, 2005, 07:51 PM
#5
Inactive Member
I suppose I would be one of the people that doesn't really have the means to collect, at the moment. I'm fortunate than most, though, since I do at least have some of the dolls, from back in the day when my parents would buy them as presents. The three dolls I have are approaching or over 10 years old, being bought over a period of 5 or years and I only have two authentic outfits. I liked them when I was alittle over the target age, but though I still wanted more, I began to wonder why.
I went (and maybe even still am in, a little) through a period where I asked myself why I wanted another doll still when I already had three? Was I just buying them for the sake of owning them? As for their clothes, they had nice clothes, and made really godd decorations, but still wanted more. I began to compare what AG with what other things I Wanted cost, and it seemed like AG was a serious loss.
I actually ended up not buying anything for years, but I did end up missing saving up for and buying that doll and even though I have a decent (though mostly not AG) wardrobe would get tired of the same 5 or so dresses on my four (one's an offbrand) dolls. I also would still love to see that Samantha doll I've always wanted or Elizabeth to accompany Felicity who's still my favorite. And, the longer I went the more I thought that I would rather have had the Sam doll, *now* than I want that N64 game or those cds or that thing I just *had* to have and now can't remember.
And, now I've also started waiting for the day I can get my nieces (I have no plans for having children, but fully intend on being the, "cool aunt" for the children my sister is already planning on) interestd and buy them dolls and passing my own on.
So, for those reasons, I find myself back into the AG's and loving it, even though, as a college student, it might be awhile before I can actually *purchase* anything.
So, I guess my advice is that I would definitely take a break from it for a a few months at least, to re-evaluate what you want from collecting versus what you're getting out of it. I wouldn't sell anything yet, at least not anything that cannot be replaced easily and cheaply.
-
July 19th, 2005, 03:26 AM
#6
Inactive Member
I think it's really easy to get in the shopping habit - whether for AG or on ebay or in person at stores, and after awhile a kind of numbness or overwhelm sets in. Especially when I notice forgotten purchases, unused stuff, etc. So when I become aware of this, I ask myself questions like...
Do I really want this item, or is it something about the shopping itself that is exciting/fun?
What do I need right now that I am tring to fulfill with collecting/shopping/surfing?
What can I do to get what I really need right now?
What limits can I place on myself to keep collecting fun and stressfree?
It's fun to collect and it's fun to talk with other collectors, and when I notice that I'm unhappy or stressed about something that is supposed to be fun and light, it's a red flag.
-
July 26th, 2005, 05:10 AM
#7
Evette
Guest
No, I do not feel overwhelmed, but I identify with part about getting addicted to Ebay and surfing the web. I think I have had only one month when I have not bought anything.
Do we need an Ebay of AG anonymous?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks